Monday, June 24, 2013

Some More Scrappy Chicness: A Quilt + A Boy's Outfit!

I had so much fun last week sewing a scrappy dress for my daughter but I ended up using only half of that scrap pile so I got ambitious and decided to make a personal picnic quilt for her as well. My daughter loves picnicking. She asks to go even when there's three feet of snow outside, silly girl. 

Up until now, she'd been using her paper thin baby blanket as her picnic blanket so I decided she deserved something a little newer and cuter. I love quilts these days! The creative possibilities are limitless! I plan to make one for each of my boys to put on the foot of their beds one day... I promise I will, I really really will! 


I also used some muslin to create a doll for her. Made the pattern myself, I did, yep! She doesn't take to dolls easily (she's intimidated by their blank glassy-eyed stare) but I've found that she likes the soft dolls as long as they don't have "those shiny eyes" as she puts it. I created the doll to resemble her and she loves it!

The picnic quilt used up the rest of the larger pieces of scraps I had leftover from making her dress. It's a simple quilt made of 10" squares and bordered with 3" wide matching scraps. I didn't use batting between the layers but the backing is a minky pink fabric (which I forgot to photograph, darn!) so the quilt is lightweight but still heavy enough that it won't blow away in the wind. 


I only created the one outfit with a shawl (or cape, according to K) for the dolly and when it came to bedtime, my daughter asked where her doll's jammies were. Oops! I may need to surprise her with one tomorrow if I can manage to fit in some sewing time today! And then, of course, the dolly has no shoes, she pointed out. Well, I have yet to learn how to be a doll's personal cobbler but I'll try working on that one also.


You may find this funny, as I did, but I actually had to Photoshop the doll's face and body. Haha! I really did because K had been playing outside with her for about an hour before the photo shoot and she had gotten all kinds of outdoor "crumbs" stuck to it that I couldn't brush or pick off easily. So yeah- she appears strangely flawless here and now you know why. =)


Ahh, two of my darlings. =) I got to dress them up in almost-matching outfits finally! I normally only do that at Christmas but I managed to eek out one for the summer just because! No holiday needed! 


They were so cute here, I had to collage the frames to share the action with you all. 


And indeed, this is a scrappy outfit for a scrappy little guy! I used leftover striped mint/white fabric to make the suspenders, back pockets, and bow tie for my little guy's outfit.



The shorts are made of an oatmeal linen that I picked up during a small thrifting expedition on Sunday. The shirt is a leftover cream colored knit that I sewed together without finishing the hem or arm/neck holes. I wanted it to have a scrappy chic baby feel to them. The shirt is loose and comfortable and stretches nicely over his big belly (don't be fooled by the awesome angle of the photo above- he really does have a big belly!)


The shortalls were inspired by a vintage kid's pattern I'd seen at the thrift store. Instead of buying the pattern, I figured I could recreate it myself and I did! I made the shorts pattern by tracing a pattern I had already but increased the size by an inch all around because I wanted them to be wide-legged shorts with a back elastic.


He's so darling in these vintage-inspired suspender shortalls- I'm excited to make him another outfit that I'll be featuring later this week! I'm discovering that sewing for boys can be as fun as sewing for girls! =)


And he's so happy in the homemades, warms my heart and inspires me to make s'more! Happy sewing and crafting everyone!

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that little boy's outfit is SO cute! I love the stripes and bow tie!
    Great job on the quilt too!

    ReplyDelete

Like this post? Leave a comment or check the sidebar for ways to connect with me - I'd love to hear what you think!